Disaster Management in Bijapur
Bijapur integrated rural development society (BIRDS) play an important role in the disaster management sector of Bijapur. This organization forms rapid response plans to face the disasters. It has been working successfully in Bijapur for more than 15 years. It is a registered voluntary organization under the Karnataka Societies Registration Act 1960 and committed for integrated rural development since 1989.
This organization has been working in the selected backward areas in Bijapur, Bagalkot, Dharwad Gadag, Bellary, Kodagu, Gulbarga, Haveri and Belgaum Districts of Karnataka. The main aim of this organization is the holistic development of the rural poor in these districts with a specific focus on the detats and the tribal communities and these groups include the most discriminated, vulnerable small or marginal landless farmers, women and children.
Bijapur integrated rural development society has been working towards their socio-economic including development of rural poor through diversified development activities. The visions of BIRDS are equal and equitable society for all men and women, Social Justice, economic and Political freedom for the rural poor, Gender equity within the focus on empowerment of weaker sections to ensure dignity and respect.
BIRDS have an integrated team of well experienced, qualified and service oriented persons in different fields of rural development. It also has a strong group of committed volunteers to execute the various development projects. This organization mainly focuses on to improve Socio-economic condition of the women living in the rural areas. The major activities of BIRDS includes; Formation of CBOs like Self Help Groups, Poverty alleviation programs, Formation of CBOs like Self Help Groups, Community Organization and TUGs and VDCs.
BIRDS also perform activities like Awareness creation on HIV/AIDS prevention, Rehabilitation & Resettlements, Watershed development, Community Health Programs, Environment Protection & Promotion, Non formal Education and Action, Community Development, Networking, Disability Activity and Formation of SHG Federation.
Major Objectives of BIRD
- Improve the socio-economic conditions of the rural poor specifically for the most marginalized delits and tribal group.
- Improve the quality of life of the rural poor by organizing them into Self Help Groups.
- Educate the rural poor on protection and conservation of natural resources like forest, Soil, Water and minerals and create awareness on appropriate rural technologies.
- Work towards rejuvenation of rural culture through folk arts.
- Develop small and micro enterprises for establishing economic self sufficiency.
Bijapur Integrated Rural Development Society
- Address: Near Basavamantap, basavanilaya, Hungund, Bijapur- 587118
- Phone: 91-8351-220260